Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What are you becoming like?


You become what you think about. – Earl Nightingale

To say that the brain works in marvelous ways is an understatement. Your autonomic nervous system keeps you alive with out a second thought. Yet, what you constantly think about plays the biggest role in who you become tomorrow. 


Have you ever taken an account of your thoughts? It may surprise you how much of your thoughts are waisted on useless things. It was brought to my attention how much a TV series can occupy your mind and serve nothing more than just the thoughts.

For example, I watch a TV series about a world occupied by aliens and the human race fighting for their very lives. I identify with the "army hero." There is no problem in that, but I constantly find my self thinking about what I would do in his situations. Even at night I wake up thinking about. The problem is that I have never been in the army and unless there should be a war front threatening my family and community, I highly doubt that I will ever be a soldier. This is the issue: I am spending priceless time thinking about how I can be my best in a situation that I will never face. 

Time well spent? I think not. So what is to be done? My mind does this automatically. It is natural for you think about the things that you constantly put before your self. Good things will occupy your mind only if you constantly look to and listen to good things.

Good things are relative. For me 'good things' are the things that make me a better communicator, trainer, husband, community helper, and faithful.


What do you find yourself automatically thinking about and what are the 'good things' that you should be spending time thinking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment